Moving to a new area can be a daunting prospect. There is nothing that will make your new house feel like a home like making new friends and getting involved in local events. Being involved in the community can bring a sense of belonging, fill your social calendar, and make it easy to find friends. But how can you tell if an area has a good community spirit before you move there?
- Visit local community centres, sports clubs, church halls, cafés, and local shops to see what’s going on. Find the notice boards for information on local groups and events.
- Talk to the local people on the high street. If they are happy to stop and help a stranger, it’s a sign that the community is open, friendly and trusting.
- A lot of community planning has now moved online. Try searching for Facebook groups and small websites with the name of the town or village. Look at how active the pages are to see if people are engaged.
- Pick up a local newspaper to find out about upcoming local events. Plus, it’s a good way to find out about the crime rate in the area.
- Speak to Sawdye & Harris, your local Guild Member, as will know the area like the back of our hands and have a finger on the pulse of local activities. We are more than happy for you to quiz us during a property viewing, or why not call in and see us when you are in the area.
Source: Guild of Property Professionals